I have been a member of Gatwick Diamond Business (GDB) for many years, also serving on the Executive Board and, in 2016, I became the Chair.
An environmental management consultant, I work with multi-nationals & SMEs in various sectors so understand the opportunities & challenges facing businesses today. Together we build trusted working relationships, bring value, reduce risk, meet objectives & see commercial benefits: things all GDB members are looking for. As Chair my role is all about strategy, budgets, promoting GDB & leadership.
What does GDB do?
Gatwick Diamond Business has been representing, supporting and empowering local businesses since 1957. We’re a financially and politically independent body and a respected and sought after voice for local business.
Our mission has always been to be the first choice for local businesses looking to grow, develop and wanting to be seen and heard. We’ve taken the concept of networking and add layers of extras. We’re here when you need us and working hard behind the scenes on your behalf, when you don’t.
This year we plan to put on 100 events this year (including lunches, learning seminars & the always well-attended monthly Members’ Meeting), raise the profile of our members & the Diamond at the regional & national level, and provide the conduit for you to get business done.
GDB is about Supporting – Growing – Engaging
My aims for GDB
GDB is over 60 years old now. Is has evolved subtly over the years, originally serving one business estate to now a region from Croydon to Brighton. The member benefits are better now, the governance is more robust, the events programme has grown significantly and the budgets are much healthier – indeed we finished the year in surplus, so we’re reinvesting to grow the business.
And what are our plans for this year?
- Delivering high profile events: Meet the Buyers, the Speakers Conference & the GDB Awards.
- Sharing information about regional economic issues more widely, that Members can use to improve their businesses.
- Focus on medium sized businesses – demonstrating value for slightly bigger or fast growing organisations to attract a more diverse membership, and then build those connections across the organisation.
- Member-led activities, like lunch clubs for peer-learning, clustering and promoting interest groups.
- And of course, we’ll make connections & share knowledge so that all members benefit.
Each month I speak to the Members’ Meeting – this keeps people up to date with my activities and my thoughts for how members can get the best value for their business.
Check out also my Chair’s Column in the bimonthly Diamond magazine – see page 2.
See here for my GDB blogs, including my Chair’s Columns & feedback to the Members’ Meetings.
What else can I do to help?
One member summarised nicely of why he joined GDB –
- Learn new things – business processes & awareness of the issues
- Raise the profile of my business (slowly not immediately)
- Build my contact base – so I have the names when I need them.
As Chairman I like to meet up with members, to learn more about their business & understand the challenges & opportunities faced.
If you are interested in joining GDB, please do get in touch & I’d be happy to give you a little more info. Alternatively, speak to the team or see the website.