Tell me your Environmental Stories
“Where do your machines go when they die, Daddy?” A talk with his young daughter prompted the MD of medical manufacturing company to start their environmental journey, managing energy, materials & waste – all done through their ISO 14001 Environmental Management System.
With the ongoing pandemic, I’m making use of the time I used to spend travelling. Rather than learning a new language or baking sourdough bread, I’m finally getting round to writing my book.
It’s all about how, why & when to put in an Environmental Management System.
Do you have environmental stories to share?
For my research, I want to speak to businesses, particularly SMEs, who have an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System.
Why did they get started? How involved is senior management? Did they use a consultant? How long do staff spend each month? What motivates staff to be part of environmental projects? What’s the weirdest thing found in the audit?
Anecdotes & stories are really useful, especially when supporting How To text & summary data.
Can you help me? Tell me about your ISO 14001 EMS. You may not have a funny story, but your experiences (good & bad) are vital to share.
Your feedback is very much appreciated… and can be kept anonymous if you wish.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org & let’s set up a time to talk over a virtual coffee.
Thanks for your help, in advance!
Other stories people have told me include:
- An events company identified a business opportunity using waste plastics to make exhibition displays, effectively pivoting the business.
- A keen cyclist, the CEO of a creative agency gives extra leave days for staff cycling to work. Now 20% of staff regularly cycle for commuting & business trips.
- Everyone noticed that the plants outside the office window were looking very lush but no one asked why. The EMS audit team did, however, & they found a leak in the pipework feeding an outbuilding, which had been wasting £10,000 of water.
- When one client turned up to an audit with a black eye (running to catch the bus she was hit by the wing mirror), the certification auditor was extra nice to her, thinking she was trouble!
- A hospitality company runs regular staff engagement activities. At their last litter pick of their grounds & surrounding roads, they collected 10 bags of litter (including a 20-year old mobile phone) & unfortunately disturbed a wasp nest!
- An office-based company needed ISO 14001 to fulfil a contract. They used a consultant to put in the EMS & keep it up to date with legislation. “Two days’ work of a consultant saved me two months trying to learn how to do it myself!”
- A company’s green team encouraged staff to do training as well as run projects. One member of staff was so enthusiastic & successful, she immediately got a promotion.
Liked this post? Sign up for the Eshcon Newsletter.